Fondren Library welcomes visitors. All visitors without a Rice University ID will need to present a government-issued ID at the East Entrance to gain access to the building.
Fondren Library is open to visitors during limited hours.
There are four public computers available on the first floor, which have access to most library databases and other resources.
- Retrieve an access code when you check in at the East Entrance
- One access code is given to each visitor per day for 2 hours of computer access
- Visitors conducting research may request additional access codes from the Circulation Desk
- Unlimited access codes from the Circulation Desk available for:
- Rice ID holders
- Rice Alumni
- Friends of Fondren Members
- Local museum staff with Fondren Library borrowing privileges
- Academic researchers/scholars/students showing current proof of institutional affiliation (school ID card)
- Patent and government information researchers
Photocopiers and printers
Visitors will need a copy card to photocopy or print
- The copy card vending machine is located on the first floor
- A bill changer is available next to the copy card vending machine
- Public printers are located in the basement and on the first floor
- After printing from a computer, bring the copy card to the associated printer for payment
There are scanning stations available in the basement, first and third floors at no cost.
- Borrowing privileges are available to visitors who chose to join the Friends of Fondren
- Library material house in the Library Service Center (LSC) may be requested for in-house use using this form.
Depository Library for United States Government Information
Fondren Library is a depository library for United States government information and a Patent and Trademark Resource Center (PTRC). These collections are open to ALL members of the public. Please contact the Kelley Center for Government Information, Data and Geospatial Services at 713-348-5483 for more information and assistance.
Rice University alumni have all the rights and privileges of the general public, plus access to the Rice Alumni Digital Library. For borrowing privileges, alumni can join Friends of Fondren. As alumni, they can do so for a reduced fee.
Friends of Fondren
All Friends of Fondren members receive:
- Annual library circulation privileges, which allow a member to check out up to four books at a time for 28 days.
- Advance notice of lectures, receptions, the annual gala and other special events.
- News from Fondren, published twice a year
- Privilege of using the Digital Media Commons' printer services. Additional fees may apply.
Local universities and museums
Visitors from local universities, museums and other institutions may have privileges at Fondren. Please consult our Community Borrowers table to see if you are eligible to borrow items.
K-12 Classes and other groups
High school students
High school students under the age of 18 are welcome to study at Fondren with the permission of their parent/guardian and school librarian. Please present this completed form when entering the building.
- Alumni Services
- Reference Assistance
- Accessibility - building access and services
- Current Exhibits
- Wifi Access
- Copy, Print & Scanning Services
- Tour Information
- Fondren Library Art Tour
- High School Student Permission Form
- Request Items from the LSC
- Borrowing Items
- Where to park
**Non-Rice students under the age of 18 must have adult supervision or special permission.