The Collection Development department of the Fondren Library, working with other subject specialists, builds and manages a collection of information resources to support Rice University's academic and research needs. The collection development staff add information products in all media, withdraw or replace materials as appropriate, and provide assistance in locating needed information.
The Collection Development Department, and subject specialists elsewhere in the library organization, work primarily with the vast, and growing, collection of formally published content (print or digital).
What We Do
- Purchase, and otherwise acquire, information resources that meet the needs of Rice faculty, students and staff (see the Fondren Library collection development statement).
- Advise where and how to identify materials relevant to teaching and research needs.
- Teach or assist library visitors in the use of various digital information content.
- Monitor the condition of collections and initiate appropriate preservation activities.
- Attend departmental meetings to discuss library resources and services.
- Assist faculty and university administration with issues regarding scholarly communication and publishing
- Manage the Fondren Library's collections budget
Our Services, Requests and More
Address & Location
Fondren Library - MS 44
P.O. Box 1892
Houston, TX 77251-1892
Head of User Experience
Interim Assistant University Librarian for Research Services
User Experience/Public Services Librarian
Music Librarian & Reference Coordinator
Collection Development Coordinator
Director, Business Information Resources
Information Literacy Librarian
Collections Assessment & Engineering Librarian