How to Use Archives | Links to Other Archives
The books are available for use only in the Woodson Research Center reading room and are not loaned out.
The Anderson Collection was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Ben Anderson in 1986. The collection contains books and memorabilia that document the history of aeronautics. The major emphasis of the collection is on airplanes and the type of material ranges from pilots' manuals to aircraft company histories.
Started as a memorial to Stockton Axson, an English professor at Rice, the Axson collection contains restoration and 18th century British drama, representing major and minor literary figures in the fields of dramatic poetry, comedies, tragedies, and operas from 1650 to 1800. The plays represented often have more than one edition, and sometimes more than one variant of an edition is included in the collection.
The Greene Collection was donated in 1987 by Mr. and Mrs. Greene and represents his interest in the playwright Thorton Wilder. The collection contains plays and books written by Thorton Wilder as well as materials written about Thorton Wilder and his work.
The Hirsch Collection was donated in 1982 and contains books printed by the Limited Editions Club from 1929 to 1984. The Limited Editions Club reissued classic literature with fine bindings and illustrations to a small group of subcribers.
The Masterson Collection was started with a large donation of materials from Mr. and Mrs. Masterson in 1966. The collection documents Texas history ranging from laws printed in Spanish from the days when Texas was part of Mexico to contemporary histories of Texas corporations. Included in the collection are early issues of the Telegraph and Texas Register and examples of fine modern Texas presses such as Carl Hertzog.
The Stevenson Collection was donated by Mrs. Allan H. Stevenson in 1986 and consists of her husband's collection of books on the history of paper and watermarks. Mr. Stevenson was a graduate of Rice University and an international authority on the use of watermarks and handmade paper to date early books and manuscripts.
The Watson Collection is a small group of books of poetry written by Sir William Watson, an English Poet who lived from 1858-1935. His most famous poem was "Wordsworth's Grave", published in 1890.