- Creating charts for small data sets (up to 20 columns and 20 rows)
- Collecting research sources into Zotero library (up to 100 items)
- Scanning images, including slides and oversized prints (up to 50)
- Scanning and editing images for publication (up to 30)
- Scanning some pages of a book (less than 10% or a chapter of a book)
- Digitizing and/or editing snippets of video (up to 30 minutes)
- Digitizing and/or editing snippets of audio (up to 30 minutes)
- Converting printed documents into electronic files, such as Microsoft Word documents and PDF files (up to 50 pages)
- Advising on standards and best practices for digital projects
- Creating DVDs or CDs (user must supply their own media)
- Checking out digital camcorders, digital cameras, and digital audio recording equipment for 3 days
The DMC maintains a small staff. It may take up to two weeks to complete your work depending on the complexity of the project and current demands on staff time. If you need to complete a project more quickly, you or one of your assistants are welcome to use the DMC's hardware and software and receive training in working with these tools.
Please note that all projects supported by the DMC must abide by Rice's intellectual property and computer usage policy. The complete text of Rice's Appropriate Use of Computer Resources Policy is online.
Getting help elsewhere on campus:
- Educational Technology supports Rice's IT infrastructure for teaching and education; for instance, it maintains hardware and software in the labs and classrooms, oversees the campus's RealMedia server, and maintains the OwlSpace server, a web-based course management application.
- Fondren Library's GIS-Data Center supports using geospatial tools and resources in research and teaching.
- To report a problem with an electronic resource, please contact the Fondren reference desk at 713-348-5113 or 713-348-5119.
- For video and/or audio recording of educational and instructional events, contact the Rice Learning Environments Productions team or fill out their Request Form.