This class will focus on deepening your understanding of how digital cameras work and how you can more effectively use your equipment to create your desired images. It will cover the fundamentals of digital photography, namely shutter speed, aperture, and ISO, as well as functionally how to use your Canon, Nikon, or Sony camera to its fullest through manipulating these three. The course will use the DMC's equipment as a basis for the practical lessons on using cameras, though much of the knowledge is transferrable to other models of cameras by the same makers.
Digital Media Commons (DMC) Workshop
Participants will learn how visualize medium sized data sets. The added component of time will allow participants to convey their data in a different way. Participants will learn:
- prepping data (converting to JSON so data is readable by After Effects)
- Creative ways to graph a data set
- Animating the data set
In this course, you will learn the basics of using continuous lights in the DMC's photo/video studio. Topics covered will include placement and direction of light, managing intensity of light, using gels and various attachments, shooting against white and black backdrops, and a handful of standard lighting schemes for different subjects.
Participants will learn how to use free and open source vector graphics editor "Inkscape". We will go over some basic techniques and concepts for creating simple illustrations useful for presentations and posters.
Topics to be covered:
- Creating curves (Bezier curves)
- Creating simple objects (Circles, stars, rectangles)
- Combining shapes (Boolean operations)
- Tracing raster images"
Participants will learn basic modeling operations and best practices to quickly make 3D models in SketchUp
This introductory workshop will cover Maya basics. Participants will be able to:
- Familiarize with the Maya interface
- Understand how Maya handles polygon modeling
- Introduction of how to apply a material and render in Arnold
This introductory workshop will cover both beginner and advanced Illustrator techniques. Participants will be able to:
- Understand how to use custom pattern brushes
- Create depth with gradient tool
- Draw biological forms using curves and pathfinder tool
- Understand grouping, isolation mode and useful shortcuts
Although the artwork is geared towards bioscience, participants of all disciplines are welcome to join!
This introductory workshop will cover advanced Photoshop techniques. Participants will be able to:
- Properly implement use of smart objects and smart filters
- Batch process multiple files at once
- Understand how to use layer comps
- Use basic features of 3D workspace
This hands-on workshop will cover the basics of using Adobe Lightroom to edit photos. The workshop will cover the following topics:
- Getting familiar with the interface
- Importing and organizing photos
- Color correction
- Tone correction
- Best practices for getting your photos web-ready
- Best practices for getting your photos print-ready